Considering adding a garage addition to your current home? A garage addition can be a wonderful investment, and one you might not have even knew you even needed until after it is completed. Once you have a garage or an addition above, it will be hard to live without one.
There is a wide range of benefits to having a garage. A garage provides shelter for your vehicles, valuable storage space, can be equipped with tools for a workshop, and can even provide extra living space.
If you are looking to build a garage addition, make sure to contact Onsite Construction. We will be with you from start to finish to ensure that you are getting the most for your money.
Is a Garage Addition Worth the Investment?
Building a garage, whether attached or detached (freestanding), should always add value to your home. This is especially true in Tampa Bay, where older homes may not have a garage and storage space can be limited.
According to Opendoor.com, Tampa is in the top 3 cities for increased resale value for garage/interior space additions.
The overall national average for return on investment for a garage addition is 65% – yes, you read that right. This ROI (return on investment) depends on factors such as materials used, finished (drywall), insulated, and types of doors/openers.
Remember, even if you do not earn back the full value of the addition, it does not mean it was necessarily a bad investment, especially if you plan to put it to active use before reselling.
Things to Consider When Planning Your Garage Addition
There are many options to consider when adding your garage addition. It is important to consider the home’s area and what typical garages there look like, the climate, and of course, how you plan to use it.
We know that people living in Tampa Bay desire a garage. Some homes, especially older ones, may not have a dedicated garage. Because the weather in Tampa can be very warm, this may affect how you insulate your garage to properly protect your vehicles or personal belongings from weather-related wear and tear.
These considerations or upgrades can give a higher return on your garage addition investment:
- Freestanding vs. detached
- Climate controlled/insulated
- Additional storage space/workspace on top of vehicle parking space
- Additional living space above the garage
- Mother-in-law suite or rental income property
Mistakes Not to Make When Planning a Garage Addition
A garage addition should always add value to your home. When you are in the planning stages of your addition you need to consider some mistakes that could potentially cost you money later on:
- Does not fit in aesthetically. A new garage addition should blend in well with the footprint, style, and curb appeal of the current home. Additionally, an addition that is too large for the lot should be avoided. The more it looks like it was meant to be there the higher the value.
- Requires more maintenance than it is worth. Future homeowners will be looking for a high-quality and low-maintenance infrastructure. You will not see the return on your money if you put in an addition that does not stand up well to time and weather or requires more upkeep.
- Not hiring a professional. There are a lot of great home DIY improvements, but adding a garage addition is something you should leave to a professional. A garage is a structural component of the property and with that comes permits, inspections, ordinances, and other possible setbacks that come with large construction projects. At Onsite Construction, we will manage the entire construction process from start to finish.
Build Your Dream Garage Add-On
Adding additional square footage and space to your home will greatly enhance your home’s appeal and functionality as well as its resale value. Do not wait any longer; transform your current home into your dream home now!
If you are in the Tampa Bay area and are ready to start your garage add-on, contact Onsite Construction at 813-579-5789 for a free consultation and estimate.
Tight on money? We will help you finance your garage addition with an FHA, Fannie Mae, or a VA loan.